Friday, July 20, 2012

Ray Rice Got 40 Million Bucks For Beating Me in Madden
 













Unless you've been hiding under your Dre Beats Headphones for the last 6 months, you many have noticed that Ray Rice finally got paid. And while some may think that he got paid for the incredible performance he has displayed on the field since the 2008 season, I think beating me in the Madden NFL 2013 video game last week was what compelled the Ravens to reward their franchise running back.

I had the pleasure of getting to meet Ray last week at a Dre Beat promotional event. Most of the time when you meet an athlete its a simple handshake and maybe a signature. Ray Rice however definitely took things to the next level and provided an incredible fan/player interaction. After signing everybody's memorabilia and taking countless photos, Ray Rice just wanted to be a normal guy and relax and play Madden. Instead of bringing one of his friends to play with him while fans approached him, Rice said "Hey who wants to play". Being the avid football fan I am, I immediately jumped at the chance and said "I'll play Ray!!!" Even though I'm a Patriots fan, I definitely wanted to make the game a little bit more competitive. So I picked the Steelers because regardless of if its a video game or a dream, Ray Rice isn't going to accept losing to the Steelers. 

What was even more fun than getting the opportunity to play Madden with one of my favorite players, was getting to ask him any question I wanted and listen to how he sees the game. We talked about thing such as college, Billy Cundiff's missed kick, and his touchdown against the Patriots in the playoffs. I have to admit Ray Rice is pretty good at Madden and beat me 21-6. 

And after beating the Steelers and I, Rice received a 5 year 40 million dollar contract the next day.

The big thing I took away from this experience is that pro athletes really are just normal people. Everyone looks up to players they would want on their fantasy team as gods. As great as Ray is, I don't think he would take any offense to being thought of as a normal person with an exquisite talent. Some guys walk around with an attitude that suggests that they are better than everyone else. Rice is certainly not one of those guys. While this offseason has been filled with more arrests, DUI's, assaults, Rice is busy giving fans memories that they will never forget. Although I like to think I was a good luck charm to Rice getting a new contract in my head, I know that nobody deserved a new deal more than him. Besides his amazing play, Ray has been extremely durable and has shown terrific character.

I had an awesome experience meeting Ray and I just want to say - Mr. Rice, we will meet again one day and on that day I will bring my A game and win.

Connect with the athletic, sports and fitness activities that keep you active www.tivity.us

Have a great day,
Aaron Granoff

No comments:

Post a Comment